Knack /næk/
A readiness in performance; aptness at doing something; skill; facility; dexterity.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Sisterhood of Motherhood

Many people can become mothers. Whether young or old. Medical science has proven and surprised us on both ends with that fact.

You don't have to go through a rites of passage, pledge a mom sorority -- although I'm sure there are many "Delta Drama Mamas" out there, not to be taken personal Deltas! -- or go through some painful initiation -- which some may associate with childbirth. But one of the perks of motherhood I cherish the most is the "Sisterhood of Motherhood". Which is open to everyone.

The other day I was at Whole Foods. I never sit down to eat in their cafe area, but since I had Cub with me and we had time to kill, let alone a piping hot delicious latte, I decided to take a seat. Besides there were some young kids playing over at the long communal table and I thought he'd enjoy watching them play and I could enjoy savoring my latte. So we took a seat beside the kids and their mom. The mom was staring ahead. Zoning out. While the kids tugged and pulled at her and... WHINED! She finally dropped her head onto the table and closed her eyes, shutting them out. I smirked to myself remembering feeling that way just a day before. Then I said to her, "You look like me yesterday." She raised her head and smirked. Then said, "Oh, my god! How do we do this?!" We both laughed. Her face brightened up. It was a Saturday morning and wet outside. There wasn't much to do with the kids and she couldn't fathom being with them for another two hours without a break. So I suggested taking them to the library. A light went off in her head. Of course, the library! Duh! She was relieved I made that suggestion. In all her tiredness her mind had gone blank. So there they were at Whole Foods, driving mom crazy.

As we talked more and the kids started to play together, her whole demeanor changed. Suddenly she was re-energized, refocused, and ready to take on the kids. Just a moment of being able to bond with another mom and yes, vent, did wonders. Like an espresso shot of relief. They left shortly after that, headed to the library. And we left too. Both of us grateful for the interaction.

The day before when I was losing it, I had called another mommy friend. To vent. I felt a little embarrassed but had to talk with someone. I was at that -- Oh, my god! moment. And my friend laughed and said, "You're just having one of those moments?? I go through that at least once or twice a week!" Hearing her say that removed the huge block of guilt balancing on my head. I then felt, renewed. Like, "Okay, I'm not crazy. This is normal."

What would we do without the sisterhood of motherhood?! I would probably hide under my bed and never come out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment