Knack /næk/
A readiness in performance; aptness at doing something; skill; facility; dexterity.

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Snob Mom.

Yesterday I was at a natural food store buying Cub some fresh produce. Lately I'm all about cooking my own baby food. It's such a pat on the back to whip out a jar of freshly cooked veggies that I've prepared! I saw another mom there with a boy a little older than Cub. I asked her advice on what foods to prepare since I'm a novice. She gave me some suggestions then mentioned a grain I had never heard of before. I asked her about it and she almost laughed in my face. She was floored that I had never heard of this special grain. She looked at me as if I had been serving Cub Cheetos all his life. I kindly smiled and reminded her I'm new to all of this "natural" stuff so she told me just to stick with what I know, the basics -- mushing up the regular veggies.

I saw another mom outside. I decided to ask her for her input too. She looked a little embarrassed and then confessed to always giving her baby store-bought jarred food. We both laughed with relief. She had never heard about that special grain either. I wish I remembered the name so I could tell you guys. Maybe then you could laugh at me too!

I've noticed a lot of other snobby behaviors amongst moms. And I know I've been one too.
We get snobby about what types of toys are bought -- are they imported? Natural wood? French?! The brands of clothes they wear, etc. What pre-schools we're considering, and the list goes on.

I've also seen the compartmentalizing of friendships amongst moms. I've been a friendship boxer myself. By this I mean specifying where and how certain friends fit into my life. Putting these friends into a "box". I used to always say "my church friends" to non-church friends. As if to devalue the importance and closeness of the friends I've gained at church vs. the friends I make in the "real world". Stupid. One time I was invited out to a park date with a "friend". She had other moms coming that I didn't know. When we got there, we were introduced as her "[blank]" friend. I don't want to bust this mama out, so I won't say which box she put us into. I remember my feelings being slightly hurt. Why did we have to be the "[blank]" friend? Why couldn't we just be her friend? It was almost as if she had to justify being friends with us. This was a rather snooty group of women. But we're no charity friend either!

I'm not sure why we do this. I suppose we all just want to fit in. And being a snob makes us feel better about ourselves. Ew.

At the end of the day, if our kid doesn't get into the top daycare, pre-school, prep school, wear only x-brand and play with french toys, they won't be lesser human beings. Perhaps they'll even be COOLER human beings. Ha!

3 comments:

ALAMB said...

I can SO relate to the food snob thing. I've been known to replace the goldfish crackers in my diaper bag with extra-healthy homemade snacks when meeting certain friends so as not to be judged a bad mom. And I've also been known secretly feel superior to the mom serving her kid chocolate milk and hot dogs for lunch. Sometimes it's hard to stop comparing every little thing and just enjoy being a parent.

One Urban Mom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I have found that the level of snobbery usually corresponds to the level of friendship. My closest friends have no need to pretend that they are going to do something with their kids because of the way I have done. It is the people I am still getting to know who seem to feel willing to wave the I'm a better parent than you flag.

That said, I think it also has to do with what we are sensitive about. Sometimes the snobbery is quite unintended, even well-intentioned. I have one friend who had a home birth, stays home, still nurses her 18 month old, and has never used a disposable diaper. I often feel a little bit of snobbery when we talk . . . What I may really be feeling is a strong desire to live as she is living.

Post a Comment