Knack /næk/
A readiness in performance; aptness at doing something; skill; facility; dexterity.

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Payback

Ok, I confess, I was one of them in college...

I used to make some cash here and there as a babysitter. But what I'm confessing to is being "a sitter"-- somebody who literally sits around disengaged with the child. I wouldn't say I was totally disengaged, but the truth is I preferred sitting around, checking my cell phone, going shopping, getting my nails done, anything I could do with the baby without having to put much energy into the baby. Terrible, I know. Hey, that's why this is a confession! Grrr!

Today I'm at the mall and see this kid screaming. He was with a sitter. There she was in the food court eating her food and talking to a friend while the baby cried out for attention. Cub looked over at the kid and then to me like, "Mom, is she just going to let that baby melt down?" Me: "Yes, sweety. It's very sad."

The sitter and her friend continued eating and talking until finally her friend suggested they leave for the baby's sake. While they packed up, the baby started to calm down as if to say, "it's about time!"

As I watched this go down I was first appauled. Then convicted. Then totally freaked out. What if I get a sitter for Cub?!

0 comments:

Post a Comment